Scymaris Ltd are based at the Brixham Laboratory site located in Devon, England where specialized laboratory services have been provided for over 65 years. We provide high quality aquatic (marine and freshwater) ecotoxicology, environmental fate and analytical chemistry services to the global pharmaceutical, agrochemical and chemical industries. Our goal is to help our clients understand the lifecycle of chemicals in our environment and the impact this has on the ecosystem. The job holder will work as part of an experienced team; within the analytical chemistry group, initially on a supervised basis and subsequently on an unsupervised basis as they learn to manage their work priorities to meet expected deadlines.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities within the role:
• Maintain chemical inventories and interact with suppliers as required.
• Follow standard operating procedures (SOP’s), maintaining accurate and up to date records. • Operation of laboratory equipment including calibrating equipment; preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, maintaining equipment inventories.
• To support a positive culture of safety to help the laboratory meet all health and safety requirements.
• Contribute to the success of projects by delivering results on time, to the highest possible standard, proactively engaging with colleagues where appropriate.
• A flexible working style is imperative, and the job holder will be expected to work closely with their supervisor and other team members to deliver projects where priorities can change.
• Commit to ongoing training opportunities (such as GLP, Data Integrity, analytical instrumentation, and sample preparation techniques).
• In time the individual will help with developing and validating analytical methods in support of ecotoxicology, environmental fate, physical chemistry, and standalone studies.
• Preparing samples for analysis, using a variety of sample preparation tools.
• Author analytical method protocols, SOP’s and reports.
Candidates should possess the following skills/qualifications:
• Positive, can-do attitude with desire to learn new skills.
• Enthusiasm in chemical sciences with a motivation for making contributions in a multi-disciplined, collaborative team environment.
• Experience of chemistry practical work. e.g. Titrations, standard preparation, GCSE or A-level practical work.
• Strong computer, scientific, and organizational skills.
• Desired qualifications; BSc in Analytical Chemistry OR relevant work experience with relevant A-levels or 5 GCSE's A*- C (or equivalent) including Maths, English and Science.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Practical experience sample preparation techniques: Liquid-Liquid Extraction, Solid Phase Extraction, Accelerated Solvent Extraction, sample concentration or knowledge of a variety of sample concentration and clean up techniques. • Practical experience of HPLC or other chromatographic techniques and or radiochemical analysis techniques
• Excellent organizational and communication skills paired with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment to deliver results.
• Energetic and proactive with a close attention to detail • Strong interest in science and environmental issues and willingness to continuously learn
• Knowledge or experience of working to GLP (or other quality management system).
• Ability to work independently and as part of a successful cross functional team.
• Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
We offer candidates:
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Employee Assistance Program (EAP)+ • Unrivalled opportunities for career progression within a uniquely designed market leading Laboratory Facility.
• Subsidized meals on-site
• On-site & subsidised parking options
• Team environment, collaborative and supportive culture with personal interest in individual development.
• Excellent facilities with the latest analytical instrumentation and laboratory equipment.
• Significant opportunity for progression and professional development such as; training in the use of technical apparatus, conducting sample preparation tasks, methodology for sampling, use of laboratory instrumentation, training in quality systems, Good Laboratory Practice, (GLP), & data integrity.
This Job Description provides an overview of the principal accountabilities of the post and accountabilities will include but will not be limited to those detailed. It is anticipated that the content of roles will evolve and change over time and such the balance of duties within the job description will change within the broad remit of the post.
To apply for this position please send a CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.